Thursday, November 8, 2012

Knife Fight

Wired has a reasonable good post comparing chef's knives - although they diss my preferred knife, the Zwilling (Henckels) Pro

When it comes to knives, there is definitely a personal preference issue.  What Wired finds mundane and ho hum, I find that this classic knife is classic for a reason - it's perfect and you don't need to change it.  I have used mine for 29 years - bought it in Switzerland on our honeymoon.  It is the right shape, the right size, the right weight - although some find it to heavy.

Having said that, I too would love if they could get the price down.  $130 is a lot of money to spend on a single knife, and you can buy a lessor, but perfectly capable Fibrox for $30 (or less).

I love my 8 inch chef's knife, but I know a number of cooks who think bigger is better and love a 9 or 10 inch blade.  Personally, I think the longer blade does not buy me anything except it is harder to use.


No comments: