Friday, September 28, 2012

Not a Zucchini fan, but....

This recipe is guaranteed to distress my cousin, Monika (with a "k").  She hates cheese.  She is weird like that - who doesn't love cheese?  This post is in her honor horror.

I hate zucchini.  There, I said it.  Everyone in my family loves it.  My wife grows it.  Everyone wants it.  Blech.  Yet I cook for others, not myself.  It's what I am, it's what I do.  So this recipe from the NYT just might have to go into the rotation.  Except one daughter hates fat and my wife must avoid it.  What is a man to do.  Here is a nice video about the recipe by the author, Melissa Clark



Now, for the direct cut and paste (please don't sue me Grey Lady, I linked twice)

INGREDIENTS

  • Olive oil, for brushing
  • 1 medium Romanesco zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
  • 4 ounces Parmesan, grated medium-fine (about 1 cup)
  • Fresh basil leaves
  • Cracked black pepper.

Recipe

1.
Brush a large nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high until hot. Arrange half the zucchini rounds in a single layer, allowing about an inch of space between them. Cook, without moving them, until undersides are dark golden, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden, about 2 minutes more.
2.
Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over zucchini and into the spaces between it. Cook, without moving, until cheese looks lacy and translucent, and no longer sticks to the pan, about 5 minutes. Tip the skillet and using a spatula, gently help slide the frico in one piece onto a large plate. Sprinkle with torn basil and finish with pepper. Repeat with remaining zucchini and cheese. Break into pieces to serve.





No comments: