Friday, October 26, 2012

Cooking with Dad - Slow Cooker Pork bbq sandwiches

Spent the weekend with family, and a Saturday with my Dad.  For me, cooking with love started with my Parents, and likely my love for cooking because my Father loved to cook.  I still remember elaborate meals cooked over a coleman gas stove while camping.

While everyone else is over at my Sisters for a baby shower, my Dad and I got to hang out and make dinner.  Up on the list - slow cooker pork sandwiches, bbq style.

Now, no, this is not real bbq.  Is not made with smoke, it is not made with fire.  It is made in a crock pot, and tastes great.

We started with Pork Loin - not your typical bbq meat because it is so lean.  However, at about $1.89 a pound, it is a very inexpensive way of making a meal for a lot of people.


First, we cut up the pork loin and brown it in the cast iron pan.  Big chunks - heavily salted and peppered.  We did about 3 lbs, and yes, kit took several batches.  Don't crowd the pan - you want to brown the pork, not steam it.





As I brown the pork, my Dad diced the carrots and celery (aromatics).  A couple of each.


Next, cook the aromatics in the same pan.  Just to pick up some of the fond on the bottom and get them some of that pork flavor.  Then deglaze with stock.




Toss it all in the crock pot with seasonings, turn it on low, walk away.  Seasonings are some fresh thyme, 1 tsp celery seed, 2 tbs tomato paste, 1 tbs smoked paprika, 1 bay leaf, 1 large onion quartered and sliced thin.



Cook all day - serve for dinner.  We poured off the liquid, cooked it down on the stove, added some barbecue sauce (not much) and served it up.  Weck (crusty hard rolls) make a great base.


No comments: